IN THE STATES: GOP Extremism on Display as Biden Touts Investments in America
April 7, 2023
In the states this week, local news highlighted President Biden and Vice President Harris’ most recent stops on the “Investing in America” tour in Georgia and Minnesota, where they talked directly to the American people about how their administration is strengthening the economy and creating jobs.
- In Georgia: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: VP Harris announces huge Qcells solar panel deal during Georgia visit
- In Minnesota: KMSP Fox 9: President Biden visits Fridley to tout economic agenda
Meanwhile, on Monday, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a permitless concealed carry bill behind closed doors, standing shoulder to shoulder with members of the NRA. The law could make it easier for criminals to carry guns, and one law enforcement official described it as “a recipe for disaster.”
- Miami Herald: DeSantis signs permitless carry into law despite criticism from both sides of gun debate
- The Washington Post: White House calls DeSantis ‘shameful’ for signing Fla. permitless gun-carry bill
At the same time, Republicans across the country have continued to push forward with efforts to restrict reproductive freedom, making it clear they won’t rest until abortion is banned in every state.
- In North Carolina: NC abortion ban bill: What’s in it, who filed it, more
- In Idaho: Idaho becomes first state to restrict interstate travel for abortions. What the new law says
- In Florida: Florida Senate passes 6-week abortion ban backed by DeSantis
Finally, on Tuesday, voters in Wisconsin showed once again that they will hold Republicans accountable for their attacks on abortion rights at the ballot box.