LOCAL NEWS: Biden To Sign Respect for Marriage Act, No Thanks to Extreme GOP
December 13, 2022
Today, President Biden will sign the Respect for Marriage Act, landmark legislation that enshrines marriage equality protections into federal law, despite extreme MAGA Republicans’ votes against it.
Ahead of this afternoon’s bill signing, here’s a look at what people across the country are reading about the Republicans in Congress who voted against protecting marriage equality for all Americans.
- In Arkansas: Northwest Arkansas Democrat Gazette: U.S. House passes same-sex marriage protection legislation; Arkansas’ delegates vote against it
- In Alabama: Alabama Today: Gary Palmer votes against the Respect for Marriage Act
- In California: San Francisco Chronicle: These 6 California Republicans opposed protecting same-sex and interracial marriage. What were they thinking?
- In Florida: South Florida Sun Sentinel: 3 South Florida Republicans flip to vote ‘no’ on protection for same-sex and interracial marriages
- In Georgia: The Tifton Gazette: Georgia Republicans vote against Respect for Marriage Act
- In Minnesota: Bemidji Pioneer: Rep. Pete Stauber votes against bill enshrining federal protection of same-sex and interracial marriages
- In New York: The Post-Journal: Sempolinski Opposes Respect For Marriage Act
- In North Carolina: Charlotte Observer: NC House Republicans vote against same-sex, interracial marriage as bill passes Congress
- In Oklahoma: News on 6: Oklahoma Senators Vote Against Respect For Marriage Act
- In Tennessee: Nashville Scene: Nashville’s New Congressional Representatives Vote Against Gay Marriage