ICYMI: House Republicans Admit Baseless Impeachment About Giving Trump “Ammo”
December 5, 2023
In case you missed it, MAGA Republicans are openly admitting their impeachment sham is entirely motivated by politics and designed to help Donald Trump’s 2024 campaign. House Republican Troy Nehls said he is pushing for impeachment to give Trump “ammo” in 2024, and former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich said any Republican who votes against the impeachment sham will face a primary challenger.
USA Today: Are House Republicans getting closer to impeaching Joe Biden? GOP leaders eye significant escalation
By: Ken Tran
- Rep. Dusty Johnson, R-S.D., chair of the pragmatic Main Street Caucus, told USA TODAY Friday there is still “a large gathering of members that are concerned about an inquiry vote.”
- “Lots of members want to make sure that it is actually legally constitutional and that we’re not prejudging facts,” Dusty Johnson said, adding there is a concern from members that the inquiry could appear as if the GOP was being “motivated by politics.”
- For what it’s worth, Rep. Troy Nehls, R-Texas, one of Trump’s most vocal supporters in the House, has not shied away from pushing for Biden’s impeachment in part to play politics.
- If Trump, who has been impeached twice, is the 2024 Republican nominee, Nehls said he wants to give Trump “a little bit of ammo to fire back” and say Biden has also been impeached.
The Messenger: Gingrich Warns that GOP Votes Against Impeachment Will ‘Guarantee’ Primary Challenges
By: Alec Dent
- Former GOP House Speaker Newt Gingrich on Monday suggested moderate Republicans may go along with a new attempt to launch a presidential impeachment inquiry against President Joe Biden because they could face primary threats if they don’t.
- “If you’re a Republican, do you really want to guarantee a primary opponent by voting against looking into [Biden]?” Gingrich said while appearing on Fox and Friends. “This doesn’t impeach him. This simply gives Congress additional power to force the White House to reveal documents and force people to come testify.”
- House investigators have not yet revealed evidence suggesting a connection.