IN THE STATES: Americans Rally Against GOP’s Ultra MAGA Anti-Choice Agenda
May 16, 2022
This weekend, after a draft opinion from conservative Supreme Court justices revealed their intent to overturn Roe v. Wade, people across the country mobilized for “Bans Off Our Bodies” rallies and marches as part of a nationwide day of action calling out Republicans’ radical, anti-choice agenda and highlighting what’s at stake this November.
In states across the country, Republicans have shown they wouldn’t stop at Roe—GOP officials are now pushing for proposals that could jail doctors and threaten access to contraceptives. Senate Majority leader Mitch McConnell has even said a federal abortion ban is “possible” if Republicans take power. That’s why advocates, constituents, and Democratic leaders made their voices heard this weekend to rally against the GOP’s extreme agenda.
Here’s a look at what they’re reading in the states:
- In Florida: Sun Sentinel: Abortion-rights rally draws hundreds in Delray Beach
- In Georgia: FOX Atlanta: ‘Bans off our Bodies’: Georgians rally to defend Roe v. Wade protections
- In Michigan: The Detroit News: ‘Bans off’: Congresswomen Dingell, Stabenow address crowd at UM abortion rights rally
- In Nevada: Las Vegas Review-Journal: Sisolak joins protest, calls leaked abortion draft opinion ‘devastating’
- In Wisconsin: NBC Madison: Hundreds gather in Madison for pro-choice rally
- In Connecticut: NBC Connecticut: Abortion Rights Supporters Rally Around Connecticut
- In Hawaii: Hawaii News Now: Hundreds march for abortion rights in Hawaii as part of ‘Bans Off Our Bodies’ movement
- In Illinois: State Journal-Register: ‘This is the time. This is the battle.’ Abortion-rights supporters take to Illinois Capitol
- In Indiana: Indianapolis Star: ‘We won’t go back’: Hundreds rally for abortion rights at Indiana Statehouse
- In Idaho: NBC Boise: Thousands gather in Boise for ‘Bans off our Bodies’ rally
- In Maine: Portland Press Herald: Crowd of 500 rallies in Portland for abortion rights
- In Massachusetts: WBUR: Thousands rally for abortion rights in Boston Common
- In Missouri: Kansas Public Radio: Kansas Citians share their own abortion stories at ‘Bans Off Our Bodies’ protest
- In New Hampshire: Seacoast Online: ‘It was the right decision’: Women speak up at Bans Off Our Bodies rally at Prescott Park
- In New York: The Post-Standard: 300 people gather in Syracuse for abortion rights rally
- In Ohio: Ohio Public Media: ‘Bans Off Our Bodies’ rally in Downtown Cleveland urges demonstrators to fight for abortion rights
- In Pennsylvania: PennLive: More than 1,000 gather in Harrisburg to rally for abortion rights
- In Utah: The Salt Lake Tribune: Abortion-rights rally draws about 2,500 to Utah Capitol, including women who fought for Roe v. Wade decades ago
- In Washington: The Seattle Times: Abortion-rights supporters demonstrate in Seattle and across the U.S.