IN THE STATES: As GOP Works to Ban Abortion, Dems Defend Choice
July 1, 2022
In the states this week, the recent overturning of Roe v. Wade has initiated a number of unpopular GOP-led trigger laws and abortion restrictions that are making their way through state legislatures. As Republicans move quickly to ban abortion in the states, Democrats at every level — from the statehouse to the courthouse — are fighting to defend choice.
Earlier this week, the DNC released a digital ad that calls out Republicans’ plans to ban abortion nationally, generating local coverage nationwide.
- National: The Hill: DNC launches digital ad campaign hitting Republicans on abortion
- In Arizona: AZ Mirror: Dems: Republicans won’t stop at overturning Roe if they win in 2022
- In Florida: Florida Politics: National Democrats target Florida voters with abortion-themed ad buy
- In Florida: Tallahassee Democrat: In new ad blitz, Democrats tout abortion rights to win over voters
- In Georgia: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: The Jolt: Democrats’ new ad warns: Republicans won’t stop until abortion is banned.
- In Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania Capital-Star: ‘Believe Them’: In new Pa. ad, Dems warn GOP wants national abortion ban
- In Wisconsin: WisPolitics: DNC: Launches Wisconsin ad spotlighting GOP plans to ban abortion
Meanwhile, Democrats are mobilizing across the country to stand up against abortion bans — holding Republicans accountable for their decades-long campaign to strip Americans’ of their right to choose.
- In Arizona: AZ Republic: ‘You cannot sit this one out’: Arizona Democrats urge voters to take action, defend abortion rights
- In Florida: Local 10: Democrats join Fort Lauderdale protest after Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade
- In Georgia: WSBTV: GA Democrats Call Out Republicans’ Dangerous Anti-choice Agenda
- In Michigan: Fox Detroit: Michigan Democrats push to protect reproductive rights after Roe v. Wade is overturned
- In Nebraska: KETV: Nebraska Democratic Party holds abortion rights rally at 90th and Dodge
- In Nevada: 8 News Now: ‘This is not just a woman’s issue,’ Planned Parenthood, Democratic lawmakers speak out after Roe v. Wade overturned
- In New Hampshire: New Hampshire Union Leader: NH Dems warn with GOP control more abortion restrictions on the way
- In North Carolina: Spectrum News: NCDP, Advocates Slam GOP Anti-Choice Agenda
- In Pennsylvania: Penn Live: Pa. Democrats hold 2 rallies as part of ‘call to action’ to protect abortion rights
- In Virginia: WRIC: VIDEO: Virginia Democrats deliver remarks on SCOTUS Roe v. Wade ruling
- In Wisconsin: Madison.com: Roe v Wade decision takes center stage at Wisconsin Democratic Party convention
It has only been a week since Roe v. Wade was overturned and Republicans are already pushing their extreme, anti-choice agenda even further — and they aren’t holding back on how far they want to go. For MAGA Republicans, it is a race to be the most extreme as they make clear they’ll push to expand restrictions on reproductive health care.
- In Illinois: PBS Chicago: Rep. Mary Miller Calls Roe Decision ‘Victory for White Life’
- In Maine: Portland Press Herald: LePage: ‘I don’t have time for abortion’
- In North Carolina: WRAL: ‘No one forces anyone to have sex,’ NC congressman Greg Murphy’s Twitter account says after Roe decision
- In Nevada: Nevada Independent: Laxalt calls 1973 Roe v. Wade decision ‘a joke,’ bemoans Nevada’s abortion protections
- In Virginia: New York Times: G.O.P. House Candidate Falsely Suggests Pregnancy From Rape Is Unlikely
- In Virginia: Washington Post: On abortion, Gov. Youngkin says he’ll sign ‘any bill … to protect life’
And while MAGA Republicans continue to push their abortion bans to dangerous extremes, Democrats– from governors, to attorneys general, to local prosecutors, and more – are fighting to maintain access to care, vowing to push back against restrictions, and creating legislation to protect the right to choose.
- In California: The Sacramento Bee: ‘We refuse to go back.’ Newsom announces West Coast partnership to protect abortion rights
- In Colorado: The Denver Channel: Colorado Democrats to create abortion provider protection bill
- In Connecticut: WSHU: Connecticut Democrats rush to protect abortion rights — and say their GOP opponents will not
- In Indiana: WFYI: Marion County prosecutor won’t file charges over abortions
- In Iowa: Iowa Public Radio: Democratic gubernatorial candidate DeJear advocates for abortion rights
- In Massachusetts: WBUR: Massachusetts House approves bill to protect abortion access
- In Michigan: mLive: Gov. Whitmer, AG Nessel condemn Roe decision, work to stop Michigan abortion ban
- In Minnesota: WIZM: Minnesota Gov. Walz vows to defend abortion rights against GOP challenger
- In Nevada: Reno Gazette Journal: Gov. Sisolak issues executive order: Nevada will not assist out-of-state prosecution of abortion patients
- In New Jersey: New Jersey Globe: In wake of Dobbs ruling, legislature passes two laws protecting N.J. abortions
- In New Mexico: Albuquerque Journal: Lujan Grisham issues order aimed at shielding abortion access in NM
- In New York: CBS New York: Hochul, Adams vow to protect abortion access in New York, including for women from other states
- In Oregon: The Oregonian: Oregon Democrats vow to protect abortion after Roe v. Wade overturned
- In Pennsylvania: ABC 27: Pennsylvania democrats vow to put abortion on the ballot
- In Rhode Island: The Providence Journal: McKee plans executive order to protect RI abortion providers
- In Virginia: WVTF: Virginia Democrats say they’ll resist Republicans’ announced plans to limit abortion in the Commonwealth
- In Washington: KUOW: As many states move to outlaw abortion, Washington state Democrats look for ways to strengthen abortion rights
- In Wisconsin: La Crosse Tribune: Gov. Tony Evers: “I will do everything in my power” to protect abortion rights