IN THE STATES: Biden and Dems Lead on Lowering Costs
March 3, 2023
In the states this week, local news highlighted the stark contrast between President Biden and Democrats making progress on lowering costs and Republicans pushing an extreme agenda of banning abortion and raising health care costs.
Thanks to leadership from President Biden, millions of Americans from Alabama to Oregon are reading the great news that more relief is coming their way when it comes to the cost of their essential, life-saving medication. This week, Eli Lilly announced its decision to cap its insulin prices at $35 per month, a direct result of President Biden calling on drug manufacturers to lower insulin prices for everyone else after Democrats capped insulin costs for seniors on Medicare through the Inflation Reduction Act — legislation that every single Republican in Congress voted against.
- In Alabama: AL.com: More than half a million Alabamians could benefit from insulin price cap, White House says
- In Alaska: Alaska Public Media: Eli Lilly cuts the price of insulin, capping drug at $35 per month out-of-pocket
- In Arizona: Arizona Daily Sun: Eli Lilly caps insulin cost at $35 a month
- In Arkansas: KNWA: Insulin users react to Eli Lilly creating cost cap
- In California: ABC 7: Company cuts insulin prices by up to 70%
- In Florida: ABC Action News: Tampa doctor who lost brother to diabetes calls insulin price cut a ‘game changer’
- In Michigan: Fox 17 West Michigan: ‘Lowering cost is promising’: Mother is hopeful as Eli Lilly cuts insulin prices
- In Mississippi: WDAM 7: Insulin prices in the Pine Belt may drop soon
- In New Hampshire: Caledonian Record: Major Drugmaker to Cut Insulin Prices Dramatically
- In New York: Spectrum News NY1: News of Eli Lilly insulin price cut sparks hope in diabetics
- In Oklahoma: News On 6: Eli Lilly To Cut Insulin Prices By 70%, Cap Monthly Costs At $35
- In Oregon: KTVZ: Insulin maker cuts prices, at president’s request, pleasing Central Oregon diabetics
- In Texas: KRIS 6 News: Drug manufacturer Eli Lilly is cutting the price for insulin
- In Virginia: ABC 13 News: How many Virginians could potentially benefit from Eli Lilly’s insulin price cap?
Also this week, President Biden visited Virginia Beach, where he highlighted how MAGA Republicans are threatening to default on our debt unless they can force through their extreme agenda. While they are continuing to keep that agenda secret, virtually every Republican budget over the last decade has included repeal of the Affordable Care Act and deep cuts to Medicaid.
- The Virginian-Pilot: Biden speaks on health care in Virginia Beach, slams GOP
- WAVY: President Biden to Republicans on healthcare: ‘Lay proposal on the table’
And while President Biden and Democrats are delivering on protecting health care and lowering the cost of prescription drugs, MAGA Republicans across the country are advancing more legislation to take away a woman’s right to make her own health care decisions.
- In Iowa: KCCI: Iowa House Republicans introduce bill placing total ban on abortions
- In Montana: Independent Record: GOP abortion bills advance
- In North Carolina: ABC 11: NC House GOP members discuss direction of abortion restrictions
- In Tennessee: The Tennessean: Tennessee bill to add rape, incest exceptions to abortion ban falters
- In Texas: KERA: These Texas DAs refused to prosecute abortion. Republican lawmakers want them stopped