IN THE STATES: Biden Highlights Economic Vision, GOP Infighting Intensifies
April 21, 2023
This week, President Biden traveled to a union training facility in Maryland, where he contrasted his vision of an economy that works for the middle class with MAGA Republicans’ plan to put the super-wealthy and corporations first.
- Spectrum News: As House GOP previews debt limit plan, Biden contrasts economic vision
- NBC News: Biden fires at ‘MAGA’ GOP economic vision amid debt ceiling stalemate
- The Hill: ‘Blueprint to devastate hard-working American families:’ White House bashes House GOP proposal
Meanwhile, in Florida, headlines highlighted the increasingly messy rivalry between Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis as they race to embrace the most extreme positions to win over the MAGA base.
- In Florida: Palm Beach Post: Trump attacks DeSantis by suggesting Disney could leave Florida because of the governor
- In Florida: Politico: Donald Trump Jr. dings DeSantis for not canceling travel during Florida flooding
- In Florida: Sarasota Herald-Tribune: DeSantis struggling on home turf as two more Florida congressmen back Trump
In Michigan, Tennessee, and Alabama, Democratic leaders pushed for commonsense gun safety measures while Republicans continued to side with the gun lobby over public safety.
- In Tennessee: WSMV 4: Four Tennessee mayors pen letter to Gov. Lee calling for gun reform
- In Michigan: Detroit Free Press: Michigan lawmakers send ‘red flag’ gun legislation to Whitmer
- In Alabama: WSFA 12: Alabama Legislative Black Caucus calls for gun reform following Dadeville shooting
Finally, the Biden-Harris administration marked Earth Week by announcing funding for 17 technical assistance centers across the country to helpallow local communities to address environmental justice and infrastructure needs.
- In Florida: WSVN 7: VP Harris lands in Miami to discuss climate change agenda
- In Washington, D.C.: Spectrum News 13: Biden to announce creation of environmental justice office, other actions
- In New York: WCBS (CBS New York, NY): Biden administration pledges $10 million to Harlem-based environmental group
- In Washington, D.C.: Axios: Biden order expands environmental justice push