IN THE STATES: Democrats Defend our Rights & Strengthen the Economy While GOP Attacks our Freedoms
July 28, 2023
Today, President Biden traveled to Maine to discuss how Bidenomics is revitalizing rural and underserved communities across the country and signed an executive order prioritizing the manufacturing of leading-edge technology in the United States, strengthening America’s manufacturing boom.
- WMTW ABC 8: President Biden signs “Invent it here, make it here” executive order in Maine
- Bangor Daily News: Joe Biden hits ‘trickle-down economics’ while speaking at Maine textile company
- WMTW ABC 8: President Joe Biden’s Maine visit: Biden speaks in Auburn, signs executive order
As the 2024 GOP field gathers in Des Moines for the Iowa GOP’s Lincoln Dinner tonight, Vice President Kamala Harris reaffirmed the Biden-Harris administration’s commitment to protecting reproductive freedom and called out Iowa Republicans for passing a draconian six-week abortion ban during a special session.
- NBC WHO 13: Vice President Kamala Harris promises to protect abortion rights in Des Moines visit
- We are Iowa: Vice President Kamala Harris returns to Des Moines to discuss reproductive rights
- Siouxland Proud: Vice President Kamala Harris promises to protect abortion rights in Des Moines visit
On Thursday, President Biden announced steps to protect Americans from extreme summer temperatures and the impact of climate change. President Biden issued a federal heat hazard alert to protect workers in high-risk industries like construction and agriculture and announced funding from the Inflation Reduction Act and Bipartisan Infrastructure Law to equip at-risk cities and communities with resources and technology to increase water storage capacity, provide needed air conditioning units, and establish the first publicly funded heat response and mitigation office.
- In Arizona: KTAR News: Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego joins President Biden’s rollout of heat protection plan
- In California: Los Angeles Times: As extreme heat bakes California and the West, Biden unveils new plan to respond
- In New York: New York Daily News: Biden announces new steps to protect workers from extreme heat
- In Texas: San Antonio Express-News: San Antonio Mayor Nirenberg joins Biden in announcement of heat-related measures for workers, cities
President Biden also called out Sen. Tuberville’s hypocritical political stunts for claiming to support America’s service members and their families while blocking nearly 300 critical military nominations to advance an extreme agenda.
- In Alabama: AL.com: Tuberville’s hold on military nominations causing ‘growing cascade of damage and destruction,’ Biden says
- In Michigan: Michigan Advance: Tuberville hold on military nominees is ‘not only wrong–it is dangerous,’ Biden says
- In New York: Spectrum News NY 1: ‘A growing cascade of damage and disruption’: Biden ramps up criticism of Tuberville’s military blockade
Over the weekend, Biden-Harris 2024 Campaign Co-Chair Congressman Cedric Richmond blasted Ron DeSantis for Florida’s new curriculum standards that suggest some enslaved people developed skills which could be applied for their “personal benefit.” Meanwhile, under DeSantis’ failed leadership, Florida continues to suffer from some of the highest costs in the country.
- Florida Politics: Joe Biden campaign criticizes Ron DeSantis for Florida’s ‘disgusting’ slavery curriculum
- News 4 Jax: Civil rights leaders, activists, address Florida education standards for teaching African American history
- CBS 10 Tampa Bay: Florida leads country in inflation despite nationwide low
On Monday, Vice President Harris delivered the keynote address at the UnidosUS Annual Conference in Chicago, Illinois. Vice President Harris reaffirmed the Biden-Harris administration’s commitment to protecting the fundamental rights and freedoms of all Americans and discussed how Bidenomics is improving the quality of life for Hispanic families and creating pathways towards greater equity.
- WGN9: VP Kamala Harris returns to Chicago, touts efforts to boost economic power of Hispanic community
- Chicago Sun-Times: VP Kamala Harris urges Hispanic leaders in Chicago to unite against extremists: ‘When we fight, we win’
- Chicago Tribune: Vice President Kamala Harris uses Chicago appearance to call for Latinos to act against extremists
- ABC7 Chicago: Vice President Kamala Harris in Chicago for Latino leaders’ conference, Biden fundraiser
On what would have been Emmett Till’s 82nd birthday, President Biden established a new national monument honoring Emmett Till and his mother, Mamie Till-Mobley, with sites in Illinois and Mississippi. President Biden and Vice President Harris delivered remarks highlighting the importance of teaching Emmett Till’s story, criticizing attempts from MAGA Republicans to rewrite American history.
- In Illinois: ABC 7 Chicago: President Biden signs proclamation for Emmett Till National Monument in Chicago, Mississippi
- In Illinois: Chicago Sun-Times: President Joe Biden creates Emmett Till and Mamie Till-Mobley National Monument in Chicago and Mississippi
- In Georgia: NPR WABE: President Biden dedicates national monument to Emmett Till and his mother
- In Kentucky: ABC13 WBKO: President Biden creates new monuments in memory of Emmett Till and Mamie Till-Mobley
- In Mississippi: Clarion Ledger: For Till’s family, national monument cements his inclusion in the American story
- In Mississippi: Mississippi Free Press: ‘Our Highest Hope’: Emmett Till National Monument Follows Decades of Efforts
- In Mississippi: Magnolia Tribune: President Biden signs proclamation to establish Emmett Till and Mamie Till-Mobley National Monument
- In New York: Spectrum NY 1: Biden establishes a national monument honoring Emmett Till and his mother
- In New York: ABC7 NY: President Biden establishes Emmett Till National Monument at sites in Illinois, Mississippi
- In New York: NY Daily News: Biden honors Emmett Till with national monument and denounces efforts to whitewash Black history