MEMO: What Are Republicans For?
January 20, 2022
TO: Interested Parties
FROM: DNC War Room
DATE: Thursday, January 20, 2022
RE: What Are Republicans For?
Thanks to the votes of a record 81 million Americans, President Biden and Vice President Harris were sworn in to lead our nation out of a disastrously mismanaged pandemic and economic crisis. While Democrats have been hard at work delivering for the American people, Republicans have absolutely no agenda and over the past year have done nothing but obstruct nearly every piece of important legislation. Don’t believe us? Just take a look at what one of Mitch McConnell’s top (failed) recruits for Senate had to say — he cited Republicans’ lack of vision or plans as a chief reason why he turned down running for Senate.
With just under ten months until the 2022 midterm elections, and as President Biden made clear yesterday, it is time for Republicans’ feet to be held to the fire for having no agenda or positive vision for the country, and their blanket opposition to popular legislation that has lifted millions of American families and delivered a historic economic recovery.
The first major piece of legislation Democrats got to work to pass was the American Rescue Plan, which every Republican in Congress voted against. They fought against getting Americans vaccinated, resources for schools to safely reopen, and lifting millions of Americans out of poverty. It was desperately needed and overwhelmingly popular, which explains why Republicans are now desperate to take credit.
- Associated Press: “Republicans promote pandemic relief they voted against”
- Vox: “Republicans shamelessly take credit for Covid relief they voted against”
- Politico: “Biden mocks Republicans for promoting recovery plan they voted against”
Not only that, but Republican lawmakers have made clear they are anti-science, pro-sickness, and are fighting against our best tools to put the pandemic behind us. Let’s be clear: Republicans are wrong, and Americans agree with President Biden and science.
- NPR: “Inside the growing alliance between anti-vaccine activists and pro-Trump Republicans”
- New York Times: “G.O.P. Fights Covid Mandates, Then Blames Biden as Cases Rise”
- Monmouth Poll: “Majority Back Vaccine, Mask Mandates”
President Biden and Democrats worked tirelessly across the aisle to pass a historic investment in infrastructure to rebuild our roads, fix our bridges, and deliver clean water. Incredibly, the majority of Senate Republicans and 94% of House Republicans voted against it. These are just the start of the endless headlines Republicans will have to explain to their constituents.
- Washington Post: “$27 billion in new money aimed at fixing the nation’s aging bridges”
- Aiken Standard: “South Carolina airports, including Aiken’s, to receive thousands in federal funding”
- Lansing State Journal: “Lansing airport scores $2 million in Biden infrastructure bill”