New Polls: Americans Support Stricter Gun Laws, Oppose The NRA
March 24, 2018
As thousands of students, activists and supporters gather across the country for the March for Our Lives today, two new polls show a significant growing trend across the country – an increasing number of Americans want common-sense gun reforms, while more and more view the NRA unfavorably.
Support for stricter gun laws is at the highest level in more than five years:
- Nearly 7 in 10 Americans now favor stricter gun laws, including 54 percent of gun owners and half of Republicans.
- 60 percent believe making it harder to legally obtain a gun would result in fewer mass shootings.
- Nearly 6 in 10 Americans favor a nationwide ban on AR-15-style rifles.
Support for the NRA is at the lowest level in over 18 years:
- The NRA’s favorability is now three points underwater, a noticeable shift from a year ago when it had a 12-point positive favorability rating.
- The NRA’s favorability among moderate Republicans dropped 12 percent since April of last year.