Perez on CBO Score
May 24, 2017
WASHINGTON – DNC Chair Tom Perez released the following statement after the Congressional Budget Office released their analysis of Trumpcare, the Republican health care bill:
“Trump and House Republicans threw themselves a party for passing this bill, and now we know exactly what they were celebrating: 23 million Americans potentially losing their care—including 14 million who would lose it thanks to their more than $800 billion cut to Medicaid. They were celebrating higher costs for older Americans and people with serious illnesses. They were celebrating higher profits for insurance companies and health plans without critical benefits like maternity care and life-saving opioid addiction treatment. But most of all, they were celebrating a big fat tax cut for millionaires and billionaires like Trump. This bill is a cruel betrayal of the people they were elected to serve. Democrats believe health care is a right for all, and we will continue to fight every Republican assault on hardworking families.”
If Trumpcare becomes law:
· Older Americans will pay more.
· Individuals with pre-existing conditions will be subject to faulty and expensive high-risk pools.
· Insurance companies will be able institute lifetime limits on coverage, even on those with chronic illnesses.
· $834 billion in Medicaid cuts included in AHCA that would heavily impact children, the poor and those with disabilities.
· Planned Parenthood will be defunded, making it more difficult for millions of women to access critical health services.
· Wealthy Americans receive a huge tax cut.
· States can opt out of Obamacare’s essential benefits clause, which include:
o Outpatient care
o Trips to the emergency room
o Maternity and newborn care
o Mental health services and addiction treatment
o Prescription drugs
o Rehabilitative services and devices
o Laboratory services
o Preventive services, wellness services, and chronic disease treatment
o Pediatric services
· States can opt out of Obamacare’s “community rating” provision that prevents insurers from charging higher rates to sick people.