Republican Governors Play Politics As They See Huge COVID Spikes In Their States
August 3, 2021
At a time when leadership from our elected officials is critical, Republican governors are playing politics with people’s lives and undermining public health officials while COVID cases spike in their states.
“It takes a special level of cowardice to undermine public health officials and cost constituents their lives, but that’s exactly what Republican governors like Ron DeSantis and Greg Abbott are doing. Between DeSantis’s cross country vacations as Florida hospitalizations reach all-time highs and Abbott’s political stunts while refusing to take any action to protect Texans, these governors have shown a dangerous commitment to prioritizing politics over people’s lives.” – DNC Spokesperson Adonna Biel
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis:
- Politico: Florida Covid hospitalizations shatter record as DeSantis downplays threat
- MSNBC: Florida doctor to Gov. Ron DeSantis: ‘Let us do our jobs’
- Independent: Florida doctors are ‘angry and ashamed’ at governor Ron DeSantis as state becomes national Covid epicenter
- CNN: Florida’s Broward County school district reverses its mask mandate after funding threat from the governor
Texas Governor Greg Abbott:
- New York Times: Gov. Greg Abbott bars mandates for vaccinations and masks in Texas.
- Spectrum News: Official: Texas, Florida accounted for one-third of COVID-19 cases reported in past week
- MSNBC: Matthew Dowd: If you look up craven in the dictionary, there’s a picture of Gov. Abbott