SPLIT SCREEN: Democrats Stand with Police While Republicans Pull Stunts, Disrespect Police, and Host Jailhouse Presser
July 27, 2021
In a move befitting the caucus that voted against additional funding for police, Leader McCarthy and the likes of Marjorie Taylor Greene are *counterprogramming* police officers testifying about the day they protected those very same members of Congress from the violence of January 6. While Republicans make the decision to disrespect the police officers, the bipartisan January 6 Select Committee is hearing from police officers on that violent day and the country is reminded Republicans are siding with violent rioters and Donald Trump over justice and our police.
- Daniella Diaz, CNN: “I asked @GOPLeader if he still thinks Trump is responsible for the Capitol attack (something he said on the House floor a week after 1/6)
“McCarthy ignored my Q & instead blamed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi for ignoring a note passed to her about security issues during the attack.”
- Politico Playbook: “Their testimony alone is a public relations disaster for Republicans. The GOP likes to boast that they ‘back the blue’ and are the party of ‘law and order.’ But in snuffing out the possibility of a nonpartisan commission to probe the Jan. 6 attacks, McCarthy effectively brushed aside pleas from law enforcement to authorize the investigation. Now, after pulling out from the select committee, Republicans (save for Cheney and Kinzinger) will be absent as the officers speak.”
- Leigh Ann Caldwell, NBC News: “McCarthy and GOP are blaming Pelosi for security failures.
“When I and another reporter asked if McConnell, who was majority leader on Jan6, should also be questioned and blamed for security lapses, McCarthy refused to answer.”
- Quint Forgey, Politico: “.@Liz_Cheney on Jan. 6 committee and @GOPLeader: ‘This is absolutely not a game. This is deadly serious. There are some in my party, including Leader McCarthy, who continue to act as though this is about partisan politics. I think it’s really sad. I think it’s a disgrace.’”
- CNN: “Fact check: Some Republicans have tried to rewrite the history of January 6. Here’s how”