THE LATEST: Hundreds Of Families Remain Separated, Trump Admin Threatened With Contempt
August 10, 2018
Hundreds of children remain separated from their parents as a result of Trump’s cruel policy. Instead of doing more to reunite these families, the Trump administration has delayed attempts to reunify families and was even threatened with contempt after they began deporting a family while undergoing a court hearing. Here’s the latest:
Hundreds of children remain separated from their parents, and many of those parents have already been deported.
MSNBC’s Jacob Soboroff: “BREAKING: Trump administration says of 2,551 migrant kids 559 *still* separated from parents. 386 have parents *already* deported. They've heard from parents of 299 in last week. They don't have info *at all* for parents of 26. They still haven't filed a plan to reunite any.”
A federal judge threatened to hold Attorney General Jeff Sessions in contempt after the Trump administration deported a mother and her daughter to El Salvador while their court hearing was underway, returning them to the U.S. only under court order.
Washington Post: “A federal judge in Washington halted a deportation in progress Thursday and threatened to hold Attorney General Jeff Sessions in contempt after learning that the Trump administration started to remove a woman and her daughter while a court hearing appealing their deportations was underway.”
Washington Post: “The ACLU said later that government attorneys informed them after the hearing that the pair was on a flight to El Salvador. A spokeswoman for U.S. Customs and Immigration Enforcement, which implements deportations, did not respond to questions about why Carmen and her daughter were removed from the country. ‘In compliance with the court’s order, upon arrival in El Salvador, the plaintiffs did not disembark and were promptly returned to the United States,’ a U.S. Department of Homeland Security official said Thursday evening.”
The Trump administration withheld phone numbers for deported parents for more than a month, slowing down attempts to reunify families.
Huffington Post: “The American Civil Liberties Union told HuffPost that the government finally handed over phone numbers this week for the more than 400 migrant parents who were separated from their children and then deported under the Trump administration’s zero tolerance policy on immigration. But the organization believes that Immigration and Customs Enforcement deliberately withheld these phone numbers for more than a month, despite the fact that this contact information could have helped reunite many families.”