WHAT THEY’RE SAYING: DNC and Local Dems Hold Defend Choice Week of Action
July 20, 2022
Over the last week, Democrats across the country held a Defend Choice Week of Action to mobilize supporters and engage voters around Republicans’ extreme anti-choice agenda via DefendChoice.org.
Last Tuesday, the DNC kicked off the Week of Action with digital ads hitting the GOP’s plans to push for more abortion restrictions, and followed that up with a six-figure TV ad campaign in battleground states calling Republicans out for their calls to ban abortion in every state across the country:
- Associated Press: DNC ads warn voters that GOP wants nationwide abortion ban
- NBC News: DNC launches ad highlighting GOP plans for further abortion restrictions
- MSNBC: MSNBC: New DNC Ad on GOP’s Plans on Abortion Restrictions
- Colorado Politics: National Democrats air Colorado TV ad ripping Republicans for ‘celebrating’ Roe’s demise
- My Fox 8: Democrats launch North Carolina TV ads to attack Republicans’ comments on abortion
- Blog for Arizona: DNC Releases New Ad Attacking Leading Republicans on Overturn of Roe v Wade
- The Atlanta Journal Constitution: The Jolt: Abortion Rights
And throughout the week, state parties across the country held events blasting local Republicans for their efforts to roll back Americans’ freedom to make their own health care decisions:
- NBC News: Latino Democrats: Fight for abortion rights will rally voters
- The Arizona Republic: Arizona Democrats hope for long-shot election wins to restore abortion rights
- KTAR: Democrats work to protect abortion rights
- Blog for Arizona: Arizona Democrats Condemn MAGA Republicans for Imposing Draconian Measures Restricting Women’s Bodily Autonomy
- 13WMAZ: Georgia Democrats urge voters to choose candidates who will protect abortion access
- 41NBC: Georgia Democrats concerned for women’s rights following Roe v. Wade overturn
- WGXA: Middle Georgia Democrats speak out on abortion access as elections loom
- Macon Telegraph: Middle Georgia Democrats speak out regarding Georgia’s abortion laws
- WSVN: Democrats Rally for Reproductive Rights, Call Out DeStantis
- WFOR: Democrats Demand Abortion Response from Governor DeSantis
- WTVJ: Florida Democrats Challenge Desantis, Demand Answers on Reproductive Rights
- WFLX: Democrats Launch “DeSantis Owes Us Answers” Tour
- Telemundo Miami: Protestan Fallo De La Corte Suprema Sobre Aborto
- ABC Grand Rapids: MI Democrats host “Defend Choice” Rally
- The Gander: Michigan Democrats Host “Defend Choice” Week of Action, DNC Launches New TV Ad in Michigan
- 9and10 News: AG Nessel Reiterates Abortion Legality in Michigan
- ABC Grand Rapids: AG Nessel, Rural Michigan Dems Share Impact of Abortion Ban in Rural Communities
- CBS Minnesota: Abortion rights march and rally held at Minnesota Capitol
- MPR: Huge crowds march in St. Paul over abortion rights
- The Star Tribune: Thousands rally at Minnesota Capitol in support of abortion rights
- Pioneer Press: Thousands rally for legal abortion access at Minnesota Capitol in St. Paul
- Nevada Current: Medical providers, organizers expect ‘tidal wave’ of patients seeking abortion services
In New Mexico:
- Los Alamos Daily Post: Democrats Organize Statewide Effort To Reach Voters
In New York:
- Spectrum News: Will overturning Roe send voters to the polls in New York?
In North Carolina:
- ABC 11: North Carolina Democrats Say Reproductive Rights are on the Line
- Queen City News: North Carolina Democrats Are Pushing Voters to Cast Their Ballot As Reproductive Rights Are on the Line
- WXII12: Defend Choice Week of Action in Greensboro
- CBS21: Reproductive Rights Are On The Line In This Next Election
- KYW Radio: PA Dems Defend Choice Week of Action Press Call
- Pittsburgh Post Gazette: Pittsburgh elected officials participate in Downtown rally for reproductive rights
- KDKA: Defend Choice Press Conference
- WTAE: Democratic Leaders Hold A Defend Choice Rally In Downtown Pittsburgh
- WORT: State Dems Mobilize Voters After The Fall Of Roe
- The Cap Times: Evers, Kleefisch spar over abortion restrictions in Wisconsin
- ABC Madison: Evers is a Firewall for Abortion Rights
- ABC Milwaukee: Governor’s Race | Abortion Rights
- NBC Madison: Gov. Evers, Rebecca Kleefisch spar over abortion as election issue heats up
- NBC Madison: Gov. Evers Attends ‘Defend Choice’ Event
- CBS Milwaukee: Evers Slams GOP Over Abortion Policies
- Channel 3000: Evers, Democrats hold event on abortions during national week of action
- WMTV: Gov. Evers speaks out for abortion access, outlines 2022 election impact
- UpNorthNews: Want to Fight for Abortion Rights? Here’s One Way to Get Involved.
In addition to these pushes to hold Republicans accountable for their ultra-MAGA anti-choice agenda, states across the country rallied and organized to elect Democrats up and down the ticket to protect Americans’ right to choose. Here are just a few examples:
- In Connecticut: Governor Ned Lamont joined volunteers to knock doors for Democrats in Connecticut.
- In New Hampshire: Democrats held virtual phone banks to encourage voters to elect Democrats up and down the ballot.
- In Nevada: Democrats held several organizing events, including strategy sessions with organizers, to help elect Senator Cortez Masto, Governor Sisolak, and all Democrats up and down the ballot to defend choice.
- In New York: Volunteers phone banked for congressional candidate Max Rose.
- In Virginia: Team Rep. Jennifer Wexton held phone banks and canvasses to help reelect pro-choice Democrats to Congress.
- In Wisconsin: Democrats held community organizing events and contacted Wisconsinites asking them to support local abortion care.