What You Need To Know About Trump’s Devastating Budget
February 12, 2018
The Trump budget undermines many of Trump’s promises, hurts the people he vowed to protect, and makes Republicans’ priorities clear: deep cuts to programs American families rely on, to pay for the massive giveaways the Trump tax provided to millionaires, billionaires and big corporations.
Lowlights of Trump’s devastating budget:
- The Trump budget includes $1.7 trillion in cuts to social safety net programs, including billions from Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security and that’s on top of additional cuts to food stamps, and other critical programs.
- The Trump budget sends deficits skyrocketing, with a projected deficit next year of more than $1 trillion.
- Trump’s budget proposes repealing the Affordable Care Act, which would further raise premiums and reduce access to care for millions of Americans.
- The opioid funding in Trump’s budget lacks sufficient funding for prevention, and is undermined by $250 billion in Medicaid cuts over the next decade.
- While touting his infrastructure plan, Trump’s budget cuts billions from essential transportation and infrastructure programs.
- Trump’s budget cuts funding for education by over ten percent, while spending over a billion dollars to expand school choice.
- Trump’s budget continues Trump’s anti-immigration agenda, dramatically increasing spending on immigration enforcement and funding a border wall.
- Trump’s budget slashes funding for job training programs and eliminates a program that helps low-income seniors find work.