Build the Bench
Building the bench for the next generation of talented, diverse leaders in progressive politics.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC) seeks a passionate, dedicated, and resilient group of entry-level diverse professionals to join our dynamic Build the Bench cohort. Together, cohort members will collaborate closely with committee and campaign staff and have a direct impact on preparations for the upcoming election.
This full-time, nine-month (February 12, 2024 – November 15, 2024), paid program is designed to train a diverse group of young professionals and accelerate their careers as the next generation of leaders in progressive politics.
Members of the Build the Bench cohort will be guided through an intensive and rigorous, five-week training program at the DNC HQ in Washington, DC, which will equip them with the technical skills most sought-after in our political ecosystem. Each member of the cohort will choose to focus their journey along one of these two paths:
Choosing this path prepares cohort members to plan major fundraising events across the country involving principal guests (like POTUS and the VP!), build and sustain relationships with partners, and manage large donor databases.
Choosing this path prepares cohort members to monitor the media, track candidates and our opposition (MAGA Republicans!), edit video clips, and disseminate vital information to those in our campaign world. Cohort members will also learn how to engage grassroots donors through email, phone-banking, SMS, and social media platforms.
After the five-week intensive, cohort members will join a DNC department to gain hands-on experience and refine their skills while receiving mentorship and coaching from DNC staff. On April 29, 2024, cohort members will then transition to a full-time position at DNC HQ or with the presidential campaign in Wilmington, DE until the campaign cycle ends on November 15, 2024.
Key Dates and Information
- December 22, 2023: Application Deadline (11:59 p.m. ET).
- January 19, 2024: Final Cohort Selected.
- February 12 – March 15, 2024: Five-Week Training Program at DNC HQ in Washington, DC.
- The cohort will receive training centered on the following themes: leadership development, political foundations, and position-based technical skills according to the path of their choice (fundraising or communications).
- March 25 – April 22, 2024: Hands-On Experience with DNC Departments + Coaching.
- Cohort Members transfer to the department of their choice at DNC HQ in Washington, DC. Cohort refines their skills and knowledge during this four-week, supervised coaching period.
- April 29, 2024: Full-Time Deployment at DNC HQ or in Wilmington, DE on the presidential campaign.
- With skills needed to thrive and demonstrated success within teams, cohort transitions to full-time employment at DNC HQ or in Wilmington, DE on the presidential campaign.
- November 15, 2024: Full-Time Deployment Concludes.
- Full-time deployment concludes and cohort members are guided along the next steps in their journeys.
All cohort members must reside in or relocate to the Washington, DC metropolitan area for the start of the program. Housing and travel support may be available, if needed.
The work our Build the Bench cohort members will do this electoral cycle is intense, yet rewarding, and requires a full-time commitment which may fall outside of the traditional 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. time frame. Additionally, weekend hours may be required.
Build the Bench Cohort Members Receive
- Base annualized salary of $51,000 throughout the duration of the training program (February 12 – April 28, 2024).
- Base annualized salary of $51,000 + benefits throughout the duration of full-time employment (April 29 – November 30, 2024).
- Rigorous, hands-on training along the following themes: leadership development, political foundations, and position-based technical skills.
- Networking opportunities with inspiring leaders from progressive political committees, caucuses, and social justice organizations.
- Invaluable connection to a cohort of diverse, like-minded individuals ready to inspire each other’s growth along their journeys into the progressive political space.
Contact the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion team via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.