IN THE STATES: While President Biden Champions Workers, GOP Marches Towards Extreme Republican Shutdown
September 29, 2023
Extreme MAGA House Republicans are continuing to push the country to the brink of a government shutdown by putting political stunts and partisan wishlists over the needs of the American people. The looming Republican shutdown could be devastating for millions of families and communities across the country.
- In Alabama: Alabama Political Reporter: Sewell: Republican government shutdown would harm families in Alabama
- In Arkansas: Magnolia Reporter: Effects of government shutdown would ripple through agriculture to consumers
- In Delaware: Delaware Online: Delaware farms and SNAP benefits at risk with delayed farm bill
- In Florida: Pensacola News Journal: Thousands of Floridians would go without pay if government shuts down. Here’s what to know
- In Georgia: Atlanta Journal-Constitution: What a government shutdown could mean in Georgia
- In Idaho: Idaho Capital Sun: Food benefits for low income families at risk in a government shutdown, White House says
- In Indiana: IndyStar: Here’s what happened in Indiana during the last government shutdown
- In Iowa: The Gazette: A looming government shutdown is delaying passage of a new Farm Bill. What that means for farmers, food prices.
- In Kentucky: Louisville Courier Journal: White House: Government shutdown could risk food aid for 120K moms, children in Kentucky
- In Louisiana: NOLA.Com: Editorial: Louisiana would lose big in government shutdown
- In Massachusetts: Boston Globe: A federal government shutdown would have wide-ranging impacts in New England
- In Michigan: WNEM: Possible government shutdown threatens WIC, health services for most vulnerable
- In New Hampshire: WMUR: Some New Hampshire businesses could be affected by government shutdown
- In New Mexico: KOB4: New Mexico braces for government shutdown
- In Ohio: WTVG: Potential government shutdown could impact those receiving SNAP benefits
- In Oklahoma: KOCO: As government shutdown looms, many Oklahomans would feel its impacts
- In Oregon: Oregon Capital Chronicle: A ‘disaster’ nears: Millions of federal workers’ paychecks would be on hold in a shutdown
- In Tennessee: WBIR: Government shutdown would halt Great Smoky Mountains operations during one of the busiest times of the year
- In Texas: Texas Tribune: Texans in U.S. House describe GOP in chaos ahead of likely government shutdown
- In Texas: The Dallas Morning News: A government shutdown could weaken border security. Republicans say it can’t get worse.
- In Virginia: The Virginian-Pilot: Looming government shutdown threatens military pay and defense work in Hampton Roads
This week, President Biden delivered a speech in Arizona about the importance of America’s institutions in preserving our democracy and the need for elected officials to stand up for the Constitution and the institutions of democracy, not party or personal gain.
- In Arizona: Arizona Republic: President Biden speech focused on the core principles of democracy during Arizona visit
- In Arizona: 12News: Biden offers dire warnings about Trump in Arizona speech
- In Arizona: AZPM: Biden dedicates ASU library to late Sen. John McCain
In Michigan, President Biden joined United Auto Worker members on the picket line as their strike for fair pay continues – becoming the first-ever sitting president to join a picket line and reinforcing his commitment to workers as the most pro-labor president in history.
- In Michigan: Detroit News: Biden’s message to striking auto workers: ‘You deserve a significant raise’
- In Michigan: FOX2 Detroit: Biden tells UAW workers they saved auto industry in historic speech on picket line
- In Michigan: Morning Sun: Biden’s team discusses UAW strike en route to Michigan
- In Michigan: Click On Detroit: Biden joins UAW picket lines in Metro Detroit, a US president 1st
- In Michigan: Detroit Free Press: Biden walks picket line with striking UAW members at Willow Run parts center
- In Michigan: The Detroit News: Biden addresses striking UAW workers on the picket line
- In Michigan: The Michigan Daily: Biden visits UAW picket line in Detroit
- In Michigan: Crain’s Detroit Business: Biden makes history on UAW picket line in metro Detroit
Donald Trump also traveled to Michigan, trying to take advantage of the strike and rewrite his abysmal MAGAnomics record that hurt autoworkers, shipped jobs overseas, and lined the pockets of the super-wealthy and big corporations at the expense of the middle class.
- In Michigan: Detroit Free Press: I lead the Michigan AFL-CIO. Trump has never shown up for union workers. | Opinion
- In Michigan: Michigan Advance: UAW president says Trump visit to non-union Michigan company is a ‘pathetic irony’
- In Michigan: Detroit News: Donald Trump: UAW negotiations ‘don’t mean as much as you think’
Also this week, Vice President Harris continued her “Fight for Our Freedoms” college tour with stops at Morehouse College in Atlanta and Florida International University in Miami — highlighting how the Biden-Harris administration is working to protect the fundamental rights and freedoms of young Americans.
- In Georgia: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: ‘Our country is counting on you,’ VP Harris tells students at Atlanta event
- In Georgia: FOX5 Atlanta: VP Kamala Harris makes appearance at Morehouse College
- In Georgia: WABE: VP Harris stopped by Morehouse College for the Fight For Our Freedoms College Tour
- In Georgia: Atlanta News First: Vice President Kamala Harris arrives in Atlanta, speaks at Morehouse College | Everything you need to know
- In Florida: Local 10: Vice President Kamala Harris meets with Florida International University students
- In Florida: Sun Sentinel: ‘Full-on attack against freedoms’: Kamala Harris inspires South Florida students, encourages them to vote
- In Florida: Miami Herald: ‘Stand up and fight’: Kamala Harris urges Generation Z at FIU to vote
Additionally, the United Farm Workers endorsed the Biden-Harris 2024 campaign this week, touting President Biden’s positive impact on the farm industry.